Thursday, February 4, 2010

Shannon Brownlee

Despite hearing Shannon Brownlee speak twice in two days, I was never bored and she kept me on the edge of my seat. She was challenging, refreshing, and encouraging all at the same time. Specifically in Economics of News, I thought she gave a ray of hope to a class that has been nothing but gloom and doom. We know the industries failing, we know the common proposed solutions, but to hear about how the industry has been through trials before and come out okay is a nice change. This is not just because the previous topics are often depressing, but because they can also be very repetitive.

In my Feature Writing class, the students challenged her with questions about the job market and the uncertainty of the industry. She was able to say confidently that students studying journalism now are in the best shape of anyway, especially those who have been out of school for a while. We are being educated in reporting, photography, multimedia, etc. And while we all have our specialties we will still be competent in many areas and marketable to an employer.

1 comment:

  1. I agree on the fact that we are marketable in many areas. Even though creating a web site is not one of my favorite things to do. I am happy that as a com major at Berry we get a broad education and learn many things. We learn how to edit video's, create Web sites and write stories. Being a com major teaches us many skills and makes our resume look better.

    ReplyDelete